The Bright Side

A Community of Flashlights Enthusiasts, and More!

Coast HP550 - mini review

Discussion includes LED, incandescent, HID, anything flashlight related. Lanterns & Headlamps included.

Coast HP550 - mini review

Postby KartRacer31 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:41 pm

Coast HP550.png
Coast HP550.png (530.68 KiB) Viewed 2409 times

I just got this Coast HP550 today from Costco. Sorry for the cruddy cell phone pic, but I don't have a decent camera...I spend all my money on flashlights! LOL

It is ANSI rated at 1000 lumens! Runs on 9xAA (which it comes with), and sells for about $55.00

It has a zooming feature which allows for a spot to flood beam, which works pretty well.

It has two output levels 1000 lumens and 40 lumens - not sure what they were thinking about with that spacing. Anyway it's 1000 for 2.5 hours and 40 for 40 hours. Beam distance of 325m at 1000lumens.

The packaging comes with a free flashlight offer for filling out some kinda survey, just pay S&H. I haven't done it yet.

Worth noting - the packaging allows for the light to be tested while still in the package. Of course I tested about 20 of them for what seemed like forever, and found one with the tint and beam pattern I wanted. Not all were the same, but all were decent. I only came across one with a kinda wacky switch.

Initial impressions: Decent build quality, bright & useful beam with zoom, can run on enelopes, or alky, not sure about lith. Feels good in the hand, well balanced, has memory mode. About the same size as a 2-D mag. My personal feeling - I think I would prefer a side switch and not the tail switch on a light this size.

I'm taking this light camping with me this weekend, and will report back with more info. --KartRacer31
I don't know why I like flashlights so much... I must have been left in the dark for too long as a child! LOL
KartRacer31
Flint

Re: Coast HP550 - mini review

Postby KartRacer31 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:06 am

Coast HP550.png
Coast HP550.png (516.36 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
I don't know why I like flashlights so much... I must have been left in the dark for too long as a child! LOL
KartRacer31
Flint

Postby jwyj » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:52 am

Nice review....

9 AA batteries :hmm: wondering if rechargable batteries can be used.
Pity can't find this flashlight in stores in Malaysia.
jwyj
Campfire

Postby KartRacer31 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:43 am

jwyj wrote:Nice review....

9 AA batteries :hmm: wondering if rechargable batteries can be used.
Pity can't find this flashlight in stores in Malaysia.

Thanks :) --I haven't used them yet, but I have read that other guys are using this light with Enelopes, no problem.
KartRacer31
Flint

Postby KartRacer31 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:43 am

OK - I took it camping this weekend and I really liked it. I brought a few other new lights with me as well, including my Home Depot Defiant 550 lumen 3xC and my Sky Ray King. (of course I had about 40 other lights with me as well... I'm a Flashaholic LOL)

Anyway the HP550 is really nice. I do wish it had a side mounted switch. Using it next to the Defiant 550 and the King, showed me that I do prefer a side switch. However, the tail switch does work really well, and I do like the zooming feature. The HP550 worked perfectly and I think it's a great light for the $$.

Amazingly the Defiant 550 lumen light is more light than even my best modded lights were putting out just a few years ago, yet in the presence of the 1000 lumen HP550 it did seem a little bit dim. And once I turned on the King - they both seemed like Mini-Mags! LOL Amazing that after using the King my 1000 lumen flashlight just didn't seem bright enough!

Final thoughts for now - The HP550 is a great light - and it amazes me that any Joe Homeowner can walk into a Costco and own a light like this today. 5 years ago I couldn't have even built something this good for twice the price. --KartRacer31
KartRacer31
Flint

Postby Gusti Parang » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks for the follow up report of your real world testing, Tim.

This light looks and sounds like an LED Lenser, from the focusing system right down to the choice of 9xAAA batteries. I am guessing it IS a rebranded LED Lenser! Anyway, am pretty sure it will run on lithium L92 batteries, but you will have to buy 9 of those to test!
'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.' 'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice. 'You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'
Gusti Parang

Postby KartRacer31 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:17 am

Gusti Parang wrote:Thanks for the follow up report of your real world testing, Tim.

This light looks and sounds like an LED Lenser, from the focusing system right down to the choice of 9xAAA batteries. I am guessing it IS a rebranded LED Lenser! Anyway, am pretty sure it will run on lithium L92 batteries, but you will have to buy 9 of those to test!

Yes I think you are correct - I believe LED Lenser and Coast are sister companies. I know others have run it on 9xenelopes with success, maybe Santa will bring me a couple packages of L92's for it ;)
KartRacer31
Flint

Return to General Flashlight Discussion