The Bright Side

A Community of Flashlights Enthusiasts, and More!

Surefire True Stories

Off topic discussion area.

Surefire True Stories

Postby wendy_n_lisa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:15 am

Was browsing the Surefire site and came across this 'true story' -

Malaysian Evasion
I was in Johor Bahru, Malaysia, and was walking back to the hotel from a local restaurant. I heard something behind me, so I turned around and shined my L5 into the bushes. That's when two guys took off running. I'm certain that my SureFire saved my life, because, at that time, there was a lot of throat-slashing of foreigners going on in that area. I will always trust in SureFire. Thanks for saving my life.

Anthony C.
Huntingdon, TN

Wow! A lot of throat-slashing of foreigners in Johor Bahru? And the L5 chased away two would-be throat slashers? I wonder what a burst from a Lumintop TD-15X would do? Maybe those two would-be throat slashers could have been vaporized by pure led light.
wendy_n_lisa
Flint

Re: Surefire True Stories

Postby Striderman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:49 am

my wife hometown is Johor Bahru; never heard about throat slashers!
Striderman
Campfire

Postby wendy_n_lisa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:26 am

I live in Masai, 10 minutes from JB. Never heard of any throat-slashers too. Philightsophy is also from JB. Bet he hasn't heard of any throat-slashers either. Looks like these 'true stories' can also turn out to be 'bull stories'.
wendy_n_lisa
Flint

Postby csshih » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:09 am

sounds more like a couple kids in the bushes. :P
but that wouldn't be a very fun story, would it?
csshih
Who Me?

Postby Gusti Parang » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:24 am

Lol, perhaps you should edit the title to SureFire "True" Stories.

It's great advertising/marketing for SureFire, I'm guessing they don't do a lot of fact-checking before putting up the true stories submitted by them. A story like this about foreigner-throat-slashing would sound quite plausible to someone NOT from Johor Bahru.

Anyway, this reminds me of the Three Wolf Moon shirt on Amazon (read the reviews). Not saying the Surefire True Stories are in the same vein, though!
'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.' 'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice. 'You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'
Gusti Parang

Postby caver » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:29 am

Well the only slashing I've seen are those hypermarkets slashing their prices due to price war. :lol:
"If it's battle tested it changes the equation".
caver
The Sun

Postby Gearhounds » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Too funny! I'm more than a little surprised Surefire put this tripe on their website. It's one thing to print substantiated facts, quite another to take a writers story at face value when it is clear that it was purely opinion. Sounds like the Surefire catalog is turning into Jay Peterman's! :lol:
Gearhounds
Book of Matches

Postby Gusti Parang » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:35 pm

There are lots of "true stories" on SureFire's website where only Joe's E2DL and its 200 lumens of white light stood between him and a sure-fire mauling by a pack of wild dogs. It's a good story, plausible and adds to the lore of their lights. You can't fact-check or substantiate something like that without incurring more expense that it's worth, and sometimes it's just impossible. So what do they do? Why, they run it without substantiating it first, of course!
'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.' 'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice. 'You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'
Gusti Parang

Postby marcuswong » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:16 am

seems the throat slashers have moved up north in the three years since this story.
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/penang-17-murders-10-months-victims-throats-slit-214900618.html

although I cannot find this story on Surefire's site any more.
marcuswong
Campfire

Return to MAMAK STALL