The Bright Side

A Community of Flashlights Enthusiasts, and More!

Jetlasers PL-C 250mW 532 Pictorial Review

Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation Subforum -
From Gas to Solid state, Direct Injection to Diode Pumped, and everything in between, discuss away!

Jetlasers PL-C 250mW 532 Pictorial Review

Postby csshih » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:38 am

As the cliché goes,
"A picture is worth a thousand words", thus this review will consist mostly of images and little blocks of text.
I decided to shoot all my images with a manual focus lens for fun - A vivitar 35mm F/1.9. Took a bit longer but I now have more experience with fully manual lenses.

I've got no pictures of the packaging - I'm sure other reviews have covered it already.

Anyways, up for review is a Jetlasers PL-C 250mW. I currently have no LPM so I am unable to verify the power. Past experiences dictate the laser will be at least a bit overspec.
At this point, it seems the market is slowly getting saturated with relatively high output 532nm lasers, so I will focus more about the build than the output.
What I like most about this laser is that it actually has a good safety system in place: keyed access, aperture, and security pin at the tail.
Next up would be jetlaser's use of 7075 aluminum: harder stuff, and red copper (aka brass) in the focusing system. This results in a rather smooth feel while focusing the laser.

Alright, first picture. This shows the aperture ring. I believe the ON/OFF label is simply a sticker. It's pretty easily scratched but that does not affect functionality. The aperture ring is actually separate from the stickered portion - if you turn the ring the sticker'd portion will not move.

Another shot of the head area. This shows the nice cooling fins cut into the laser. All parts that were meant to be held onto (whether the aperture ring or the focus ring) are lightly knurled.

Here is the laser completely unfocused. This makes for a rather large beam at a distance (the beam is not symmetrical, but an odd looking blob that shifts as the crystals warm up. I am told that is perfectly normal), but allows for burning at a short short distance. Nifty.

Another photo of the brass focusing internals showing. I like how smooth the focusing is, but it seems jetlaser cut the inside brass threads too deeply - the head wiggles around a bit, and when focusing, the head sometimes feels too loose. I believe a bit of Teflon tape will help greatly but I'm afraid it will get stuck.

Another shot of the front of the laser, showing how well the label is aligned. Although it is just a sticker, you can tell how much a company cares about their product this way.

Going down, another sticker with a CE, RoHS, and FDA mark. I believe jetlasers was in the process of applying for a FDA accession number. At the moment I will simply state that it is FDA compliant unless otherwise corrected.

On the other side, the activation button and "keyed" lock. My issue with the key is that it is much too simple of a key - and all of jetlasers (and many other companies) use the exact same key.
The arrow pointing up signifies "lock". Jetlasers provides the option of a removable or non-removable key when the lock is in the "on" position.

The activation switch is a forward clicky which allows for momentary activation.
There is a rather bright cyan 3mm LED that signifies the laser is on. It's much too bright for my taste but could be good for careless individuals that would otherwise miss the "on" LED.

An image showing the knurling of the end of the tube. Note the set screw inconspicuously put in the knurling below the button. I believe this holds the delrin piece that holds the driver in place.

A picture of the aforementioned delrin piece holding the driver in place. You can see the board behind the spring. Apologies on the picture and the clamp holding the laser in place.

Another shot detailing the knurling. It's nice but it could be rougher.

A shot of the tailcap and the hole for the security pin.

Speaking of the pin, here it is.

The pin is actually a shorted 3.5mm mono audio plug. You can easily make your own and control the laser that way.

A shot with the laser on. The bluish light is from the LED reflecting off my hand - that's how bright it is.

Obligatory beamshot.

As always, use proper eye protection, high powered lasers are not toys.

Stay safe, and thank you for reading.
csshih
Who Me?

Re: Jetlasers PL-C 250mW 532 Pictorial Review

Postby TTerbo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:41 am

Very nice photos! :claphands:
TTerbo
Flint

Postby goninan_bl00d » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:53 am

Yay, he used a capital letter! :D!

On a side note, the whole 'shorted audio plug' thing both doubles as a secondary interlock for FDA compliance (with the 5-point FDA system being keylock-primary interlock, removable secondary interlock, aperture shutter, emission indicatior and 5-second emission delay), as well as a remote interlock.

I have it from the manufacturer that to convert it to a remote interlock, simply cut the cable and splice an appropriate switch to it. If I'm not mistaken quite a few manufacturers use that system (with the exception of CNI, which still uses stubplugs).

Same story with the key, it isn't designed to lock people out as a padlock would- rather- it's there to serve as an easy way to lock the laser (where others presumably wouldn't have the key).

Other than that, great review, as always. :claphands:
goninan_bl00d
Flint

Postby csshih » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:09 pm

goninan_bl00d wrote:On a side note, the whole 'shorted audio plug' thing both doubles as a secondary interlock for FDA compliance (with the 5-point FDA system being keylock-primary interlock, removable secondary interlock, aperture shutter, emission indicatior and 5-second emission delay), as well as a remote interlock.

Good information.
I recall reading somewhere that the FDA removed some parts of the 5-point system? Of course, that wouldn't make it a 5 point system anymore. :P
-Craig
csshih
Who Me?

Postby goninan_bl00d » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:11 pm

The FDA now allows for compliance with either their system, or the looser IEC system which only requires two of the 5-point safety system (can't remember which two). In any case to be 'FDA compliant' it no longer needs the complete 5-point safety system, which is why I suspect the 5 second delay has been removed while the rest of the safety features are untouched.
goninan_bl00d
Flint

Postby csshih » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:31 am

more beams. I'm not very good at these.

hitting the clouds...

csshih
Who Me?

Postby Gusti Parang » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:47 am

Craig, your "not very good" efforts are awesome! Makes me want to get a bigger, better and badder greenie :mrgreen:
'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.' 'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice. 'You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'
Gusti Parang

Return to Lasers